Sausage Stuffed Mini Sweet Pepper Skewers
- 1 lb sausage of choice
- 1 lb mini sweet peppers
- 2 tsp peanut oil
- 1/2 cup diced sweet onion
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup diced tomato
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 cup shredded pecorino-Romano cheese
- salt and pepper
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Meanwhile, cut off the top of each
pepper and scrape out the seeds and ribs using a paring knife or scraper. Boil the peppers for 3 minutes and
then remove them to ice water for 5 minutes to stop the cooking. [You
can do this step the day before.]
- Preheat a charcoal grill to 400f.
- Place an oven safe skillet on the grill. Remove sausage from the
casing and cook in the skillet until just lightly browned, not fully
cooked. Remove to a colander to drain.
- If necessary, deglaze the pan with a 1/4 of liquid (i.e. beer).
Add the oil and onion. Season with a a pinch of salt and pepper.
Simmer the onion until translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the tomato and garlic, cook another minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in the basil, oregano, and cheese. Season
with more salt and pepper to taste. Return the meat to the pan. Let
cool for 5 minutes.
- Stuff the peppers with the mix. Impale the stuffed peppers on BBQ skewers.
- Grill the kabobs 3-4 minutes per side, until the stuffing registers an internal temp of 160f. Remove from grill.
- At your leisure, slide a stuffed pepper off a skewer and pop in your mouth. Yeah, pretty darn good.