|Where we’ll be:
Farm Fresh RI’s Winter Farmers’ Market
Thundermist Woonsocket Farmers’ Market
We will be bringing the following items to market this week:
Large Leaf Spinach
Red Kitten Spinach
Skyphos Head Lettuce
Ruby Sky Head Lettuce
Green Star Head Lettuce
Shallots (see photo and recipe below)
In addition, we will be bringing our wide selection of herbal teas and culinary herbs. We will be bringing dried Lemon Verbena this week for the first time. Supplies are limited so be sure to stock up today.
Looking for ideas on what to do with our shallots? Try this amazing and simple pairing from our friend Oystergirl. As her name implies, she knows what she’s talking about!
Traditional Oyster Stew Recipe
- 1 dozen freshly-shucked oysters (separated from liquor)
- 1 or 2 medium shallots, sliced thin
- 1 or 2 cups milk or cream
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 or 2 tbsp butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- In one pan, cook the shallots in milk over a low-medium heat.
- When they get close to boiling, turn down the heat and let them simmer.
- In another pan, cook the oyster liquor and water.
- When the liquid bubbles, add the oysters.
- When the oysters ruffle, add the butter.
- Stir lightly until the butter is melted.
- Mix together the contents of the pans.
- Simmer on low for a while, then serve warm. Be sure to get a good whiff of it before digging in.
Read more about this oyster stew recipe, including variations. You can also check out her simpler, one-pot oyster stew variation.
See you at the market!